Saturday, January 21, 2012

Going Back in Time

So, about this 'hobby' of mine. :-)
It is called the SCA; or the Society of Creative Anachronism.
We recreate the art and sciences of the Middle Ages.  From armor making, cooking, clothing, weaving, spinning; if they did it then, there is someone in the SCA trying to do it now. 
The local group I play with is the Barony of Bryn Madoc.  The center of our group is based in Athens, GA and we have quite a nice size group.  Even so, we are always welcoming of new members. 

Here are some pictures of a small sampling of what we do.

 
This is me finishing up the string for a pouch that I had made.


Here is a picture of my minions participating in youth combat.  
Please note the so not medieval safety gear.
We believe in safety first. :-)

This is a picture of my husband in the adult form of heavy weapons combat.
Please note the attempt at wearing "real" armor.  Safety is still important, however, so is historical accuracy.
My husband is the one with the panther on his shield.

This is our group's Baroness giving an award to a friend at Court. 
We even had our King and Queen at this event.

We also have feasts where most likely food is served as close to what would have been served in the middle ages as is possible.  No, there are no turkey legs. LOL
We are not like the ren-fairs either.  The ren-fair to us, would be like a Six Flags in Medieval London. ;-)

My family and I have so much fun when we get to get away in time on the weekends.
I'll be sewing this weekend, getting ready for an event next Saturday.  I may even have some thing to enter into an A&S competition. I just may ...

ttfn

2 comments:

  1. I think you should tell us more about yourself, because SCA craftiness is pretty fabulous. So I'm giving you the Tell Me About Yourself blogging award. You can get the details here: http://www.gingerdoodles.com/2012/10/blog-awards-for.html.

    ReplyDelete